Alternatives to LineageOS?
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet devices, based on the Android platform. It was officially released on December, 24th 2016, and has since gained immense popularity among tech enthusiasts.
LineageOS is one of the most popular custom ROMs with extremely strong support around it. However, over the years other custom ROMs have emerged and are offering competitive features. We have compiled some of the popular alternatives to LineageOS.
LineageOS for microG
LineageOS for microG was released in 2017 by microG as an unofficial fork of LineageOS. MicroG allows developers to create Android apps and access replica APIs provided by Google Play Services. This includes APIs for Google Play, Google Maps, Messaging and Google’s geolocation. However, microG offers better privacy and less tracking compared to Google’s original APIs, which is one of the big reasons that has attracted users to custom ROMs
- MicroG allows mobile device users to access Google mobile services with less tracking of their device activity.
- LineageOS for MicroG comes with F-Droid already installed, which is an alternative to the Google Play store and offers free and open source applications.
- The ROM offers increased privacy along with a stock Android experience.
- LineageOS for microG is available for all devices supported by LineageOS.
- LineageOS for microG is not entirely free and still has some paid components.
- If you want to install microG on ROMs other than LineageOS you will have to go through the process manually, which can be a tedious task.
Ubuntu Touch is the Ubuntu operating system for mobile phones originally created by Canonical and presently developed by UBports Community. The system is developed with the sole purpose of providing a secure user experience. Data management on the operating system is fully transparent and no data is ever tracked unless explicitly asked.
- Ubuntu touch is built on the extremely secure Ubuntu operating system and brings this security to mobile devices.
- Ubuntu’s ‘Scopes’ feature provides an intuitive user experience by incorporating certain apps into the platform.
- Users can use Ubuntu’s ‘Convergence mode’ to use their mobile phone as a desktop device.
- Ubuntu Touch does not offer an extensive library of apps.
- The OS is known to be buggier than some of its competitors
GrapheneOS is an open-source, consumer-grade mobile operating system based on the Android Open Source Project or AOSP. Founded in 2019, GrapheneOS aims to improve the privacy and security offered by the official Android OS. Similar to LineageOS, it also ships completely google free, which in turn results in protection from tracking by Google.
- It is one of the most secure mobile operating systems available to the general public and is endorsed by big names that include Jack Dorsey, Edward Snowden and many more.
- GrapheneOS offers great customizability when comes to choosing what apps you need on your device
- The lack of Google Play services or other implementations of Google services such as microG.
- A small number of supported devices
Apart from the above-mentioned alternatives, there are many other alternatives to LineageOS that offer different features. LineageOS has gained popularity over a period of time for many notable reasons that include security, the enhanced life span of your phone, etc. However, with the inception of these newer alternatives, the options for users are not limited. With newer features being introduced frequently the market has become an exciting place for tech enthusiasts as the competition leads to the emergence of better technology.
What do you think is the best alternative to LineageOS? Please share your thoughts in the comments!